Saturday, April 4, 2009

Poor Max :(

Well the last few days have been a little difficult. On Thursday AM I noticed a few red dots on Max's legs but thought it was his Eczema, so I made sure to lotion him up really good and we got out the door to head to daycare and work. I dropped Max off at 8 AM and headed to Bessemer for a home visit. When I was about a mile from the home visit, the daycare called saying there were red dots all over his body and he needed to be picked up. When I got to the daycare, there was a rash all over his legs, arms, tummy back and neck. I immediately called the DR's office who said to bring him in at 1:30. By the time we made it to the doctors office, the rash was even worse. We were seen by two different pediatricians and Max was diagnosed with an allergy to Penicillin. Max also had some other things going on so now these are all of the medications he is on:

A new antibiotic for his ear infection- which is why he was on the Penicillin in the first place

Medication for thrush

An inhaler for his wheezing and coughing- which the Dr. said is either allergies or asthma

Benedryl for the rash

Singular for the allergies

So, Max when from never having any type of medication in his first year, to now being on so much stuff. The rash has proceeded to get worse on different parts of his body, but after another call to the pediatrician yesterday we were told that while the medication gets out of his system it could get worse before healing up. Thank you to everyone for your calls of concern and support while we are nursing our little Max back to feeling 100 %! Thankfully Max has seemed like himself other than not sleeping well from the coughing and just in the last 12 hours some itching on his ears where the rash seems to be the wrose right now. Here are some pictures over the last few days....



This was about 10 Minutes ago, day 3 of the reaction.


This was yesterday, the camera doesnt really pick up the severity of the rash which is now, EVERYWHERE!

Also yesterday


Day 1


Day 1

4 comments:

Grandma said...

Oh! my! I'm not sure all these medications are really working.
They may be reacting to each other inside his tiny little body. You may want to to give great grandma a call and see what she has to say.
Or go to the health food lady.
I wish I was closer to help with Max's childcare. I love you guys!
Little Max, you keep smilin!
Hugs and Kisses from Grandma

Unknown said...

Oh dear, but I know what it is like because the same thing happened to Lisa at 14 months. She still doesn't use penicillin now. She had a convulsion and strep throat when she reacted to hers. They just used one sulfa drug for her. Hope Max gets better soon! Take care.
Love,
G A Elaine

Baby Mitchler said...

That's EXACTLY what Lily looked like with her peanut allergy. They're right, the rash will get worse before it gets better. It will move through his body slowly. It will get better though, not to worry. When the rash is gone, I bet the inhalers won't be needed anymore. And the Benadryl is only to help with the itchiness and swelling, so it will not be necessary when it's cleared up. And I hope they have him on the right drug for his ear infection now.
Awww... you poor things. I can totally sympathize with all of this. It's so frightening to not know what's going on with your child and feel so out of control. You are such good parents and I'm so glad you were diligent enough to go straight to the doctor.
Get better soon, Max. Many prayers for you, buddy. Stay strong Jeremy and Wendie. It will get better.
Love,
Christine, Kevin and Lily

Rachel said...

Oh no! I am so sorry that Max and ya'll have been going through this. Poor little guy! Please let me know if there is anything we can do. I am praying for a full recovery.